People with addiction and mental health issues often delay treatment because of the cost. But your mental and physical health is too important to ignore. Fortunately, there are creative ways to save on the cost of outpatient rehab in Denver and it starts by understanding your insurance coverage. From here, you can find a treatment center that accepts your insurance and can work with you on the remaining balance.
Unfortunately, not everyone gets addiction treatment coverage from their insurance, or they have very limited coverage. Let’s learn more about what a typical insurance plan covers in terms of substance abuse and mental health treatment and how to handle these costs when insurance runs out.
Does Insurance Cover Substance Abuse Treatment?
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), most insurance companies are required to provide some form of substance abuse treatment for their members. The reason for this is that addiction treatment is an essential health care benefit that insurance providers cannot deny. So, chances are, you have some type of addiction treatment coverage available under your current insurance policy.
What your insurance will cover is the challenge. Each carrier and policy is different. You may have to choose from a small network of in-network providers or pick up some of the costs through deductibles, copayments and premiums. On average, most insurance companies pick up 30% to 90% of treatment costs.
To know what your benefits are, talk to your employer or contact your insurance company directly. They can explain your coverage options. In general, insurance covers the following treatment services:
- Detox. In medically supervised detox, you are monitored 24-hours a day while withdrawing from drugs and alcohol. Most insurance companies cover at least part of detox.
- Inpatient care. Once sober, you can start inpatient care which involves counseling and behavioral therapy in a residential setting. Not all insurance companies cover inpatient care, however.
- Outpatient care. Outpatient rehab in Denver is a step down from inpatient treatment and involves meetings with therapists and counselors and following your aftercare plan. Most insurers cover some or all of this treatment.
- Additional services. Other services that may be covered under your insurance are screenings, intervention, medications, therapy and recovery maintenance.
What Happens if Insurance Doesn’t Cover Everything?
Even with great insurance, you can still expect to pay something out of pocket for your care. Your insurance may stop paying or may only cover a certain percentage of your treatment. In this case, the remaining balance will be your responsibility. Luckily, most rehab facilities in Denver are accommodating and allow clients to pay off their balance using a credit card or loan.
To ensure the best coverage, choose a treatment center that is in-network with your insurance. You should get a bigger discount this way, lowering your out-of-pocket costs.
What if I Don’t Have Insurance?
If you don’t have insurance, you may feel that the odds are stacked against you. But do not lose hope. There are many options you have for Denver treatment centers, which we’ll cover below.
- Free rehab programs. Most states provide funding for rehab services for those without health insurance or income. However, you’ll have to meet certain requirements and there may be a long wait.
- Insurance. Why wait to get insurance? You can find an insurance plan through insurance companies, brokers, agents and online health insurance companies. Open enrollment on the Marketplace runs from November 1st to December 15th.
- Loans. While you do have to pay back loans, this money can get you into rehab so that you can start working your recovery. Aside from personal bank loans or loans from family or friends, check out the following resources:
- My Treatment Lender offers loans from $500 to $100,000 depending on your credit.
- Prosper Healthcare Lending provides healthcare financing with low interest rates and fixed monthly payments.
- LightStream offers medical financing options, with loans between $10,000 and $25,000.
- Credit cards. You can also put the treatment costs on a credit card. If you don’t have a current credit card, check out CareCredit, AccessOne Credit and United Medical Credit because they focus on healthcare expenses.
- Scholarships. Scholarships are being offered more often now that addiction treatment is regarded as a necessary healthcare service. Some options to look into are the Mighty Cause Sobriety Foundation and 10,000 Beds Scholarship Program.
- Fundraising. Continuing to use drugs and alcohol will end up costing you much more than treatment in the long run. Reach out to those who may want to help your journey through a fundraising platform like GoFundMe.
- Payment plans. Don’t be afraid to ask treatment centers for assistance on making payments. Many offer sliding scales, financing options and more.
Outpatient Treatment in Denver: The Affordable Option
More people are choosing outpatient treatment because of its convenience, flexibility and affordability. It’s not for everyone, however, so it’s important to be honest about your needs and talk to an outpatient treatment center in advance.
In general, most outpatient facilities expect their clients to be sober and not require around-the-clock monitoring. If you have a severe addiction, are currently using or have underlying untreated mental health conditions, you may have to complete an inpatient program first.
That said, treatment centers like Continuum Treatment Center of Colorado have options that can help you safely detox. For example, The Bridge Device helps people withdraw successfully from opioids so they can start a safe and healthy recovery. New treatment solutions are coming out all the time, so it’s worth asking how an outpatient treatment center can help you get clean.
Verify Your Insurance with Continuum Recovery Center of Colorado
Paying for rehab can feel overwhelming at first, but we encourage you to talk to your insurance company and reach out to the treatment centers you are interested in. Once you have all the facts, you may find that outpatient rehab in Denver is almost completely covered! And if it’s not, you can research the other options for financing that are available.
Continuum Recovery of Colorado offers affordable outpatient programs. We are happy to discuss your options and verify your insurance to determine how much you’ll have to pay out of pocket. Contact us today to learn more – we are here for you!