It’s a good thing that Denver drug and alcohol addiction treatment and rehab has come a long way in recent years. Not long ago, substance abuse was viewed as a character flaw or moral weakness. The goal of treatment was to correct this weakness by getting addicts off drugs and alcohol. However, many people were not able to start fresh. They went back to their same habits shortly after returning to society. Holistic rehab is a newer approach geared towards helping the whole person as they go through early recovery.
Today, we know a lot more about addiction and the best ways to achieve long-term sobriety. This doesn’t make it any easier, but it allows outpatient rehabs like Continuum Recovery of Colorado to offer more effective treatment options. One trend in rehab centers in Denver is the use of alternative or holistic therapies to help treat substance abuse and chronic drug and alcohol addiction. .
What Does Holistic Mean in Terms of Addiction Treatment?
In simple terms, holistic health is about caring for the whole person – mental, physical, emotional, social and spiritual. It’s rooted in the understanding that all of these aspects make up who you are as a person. If one of them is out of sync, it can affect all the others.
For example, stress can manifest both psychologically and physically. You may get headaches, have trouble sleeping or experience low energy. As a result, you may stop hanging out with friends and family, causing you to feel lonely and depressed. Meanwhile, your spirituality can diminish and make you feel disconnected from your true self.
As you can see, it doesn’t take long for all the parts of the body to become affected by stress. This is the same with a substance abuse problem. If you abuse drugs and alcohol, it changes all aspects of your life. Therefore, you’ll need individual, group and family counseling to understand what led you down this destructive path, repair your relationships and teach you essential coping skills.
Why is Holistic Healing Important to the Best Addiction Recovery in Denver?
A holistic treatment program offers alternative therapies to complement evidence-based treatments like counseling and medication management. This allows you to access a wide range of treatments for your substance use disorder and any underlying mental health disorders.
Below are a few key reasons why holistic therapies are a great addition to standard drug treatment in Denver Colorado.
- Ease the physical symptoms of addiction and withdrawal.
- Heal the emotional imbalance that led to the substance abuse, such as underlying childhood trauma or mental illness.
- Strengthen spirituality to help you find your greater purpose in life.
- Address unhealthy lifestyle habits like poor eating, lack of sleep and inactivity.
- Decrease or eliminate environmental toxins or contaminants.
What Types of Holistic Therapies Does Continuum Recovery Center of Colorado Offer for Outpatient Treatment?
Holistic drug treatment programs choose their therapies carefully. For instance, Continuum Recovery Center of Colorado has chosen alternative practices that align with our program and help our clients grow stronger in their recoveries. Here are some examples of the types of holistic care offered at our rehab facilities in Denver:
- This ancient practice improves inner peace, increases self-awareness and helps you detach from negative thoughts and impulses. Many clients find that meditation helps with drug cravings as well.
- Yoga reduces physical and mental tension caused by stress and anxiety. It’s also a great exercise that keeps the body limber and releases feel-good chemicals in the brain.
- Tai chi. Tai chi is based on Chinese medicine and involves increasing blood flow throughout the body. It also helps return the brain to normal. By practicing tai chi, you can improve your mental well-being and promote a strong, healthy body.
- Exercise adds structure to your days, boosts feel-good neurotransmitters in the brain and helps you maintain a healthy body. Start with low-impact exercises like swimming, walking or lifting weights.
- A healthy, well-balanced diet provides essential nutrients to promote healing and recovery. It can also address malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies that can put you at risk for developing chronic health problems.
- There are a number of supplements that have proven effective in restoring the body after an active addiction. For example, alcohol addicts often benefit from vitamin A, D and E, whereas drug addicts are usually deficient in B vitamins.
What are the Benefits of a Holistic Approach?
The main goal of holistic addiction recovery in Denver is to uncover the underlying reasons for the addiction. Many people experiment with drugs and alcohol as teens, but only some become addicted. There are genetic and environmental reasons why this happens, and a holistic program can help you understand them.
For example, do you have an addictive personality that makes it hard to stop using? Have you experienced childhood neglect or abuse? Are you self-medicating with drugs and alcohol due to an untreated mental disorder?
Once you uncover the hidden reasons for your substance abuse, a treatment program will give you the knowledge and resources to address it. This could be learning new coping strategies, processing past trauma or appropriately treating a mental health disorder.
Additionally, holistic Denver treatment supports an all-around healthy lifestyle that is conducive to sobriety. You’ll learn how to remain physically and emotionally healthy by eating the right foods, getting enough rest and keeping active. And, because life has its ups and downs, you’ll also discover stress-relieving techniques like meditation, mindfulness and yoga.
Contact Continuum Recovery Center of Colorado for an Assessment
If you’re ready to break the cycle of substance abuse and maintain a life of sobriety, contact Continuum Recovery of Colorado for an assessment. Our holistic outpatient rehab in Denver works with individuals who have substance use disorders and mental health disorders.
We follow evidence-based treatments and incorporate a number of holistic healing practices into our program as well. This allows our clients to treat their mind, body and spirit in full. We look forward to helping resolve your issues and stopping the cycle of abuse so that you can start living your best life.